Thursday 4 August 2016

Review: Holly Bourne's Books



Hello and welcome to the 4th day of my week long book collaboration with SimplyLaurenElizabeth!

As this is supposed to be a book related post, I thought I'd chat about 3 books that I own, in which are all written by one of my favourite authors: Holly Bourne. There are two new books of hers that I haven't yet got my hands on, but they are at the very top of my TBR list! So, today I am going to be chatting about Soulmates, The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting and Am I Normal Yet? Each of these books are equally brilliant and cover lots of important topics that people need to be more aware of, such as mental health.

I love reading Holly Bourne's books for a number of reasons; as mentioned above, she makes her audience more aware of mental health and the effect it has on the victims that have to battle with it on a daily basis. The main characters in the books listed above each suffer with a different type of anxiety; I must admit, after reading them, I felt so much more aware of what some people suffer with and the impact it has on them. I gained a greater understanding of the world around me, and it reminded me to never judge a book by it's cover because you never know what that person's story is.






 Soulmates
Okay, can I start by saying... NOAH. Noah is one of the nicest and cutest fictional characters that I have ever felt attached to, and believe me, there have been a lot of fictional characters that I've been obsessed with. (I'm sure Lauren can agree with me, *cough cough* Rhysand) 
Poppy, being the main character, suffers with random and unexpected panic attacks that strike her in the worst situations, and has to visit a therapist every week or so. When Poppy and Noah's worlds collide, their relationship seems like the best thing that has ever happened to both of them, but when they realise that their being together is causing destruction to the world around them, they have to face an incredibly tough decision.

My favourite part of the book has to be the ending; despite the fact that everything doesn't turn out as anticipated, it still ends up to be one of the cutest endings I have ever read, and it's really emotional to read.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

   The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting
This was the first ever book I had read by Holly Bourne, after being recommended it by a friend at school. From the first page, I couldn't put the book down and I read it within the space of 2 days. I loved it so much that, after a couple of months of reading it, me and my two best friends reread the whole thing together, enjoying every bit of it.

The main character in this book, Bree, battles with depression, and it doesn't help when her work is constantly rejected by publishing companies. So, one night (when she gets quite drunk), Bree comes up with a new idea for a blog- The Manifesto On How To Be Interesting; little does she know, this is going to turn her whole life around and she's going to become quite the opposite of her current self: popular.



In her new blog, she writes about her journey to becoming the new 'popular girl', giving advice to her readers on how to achieve it. In the midst of mingling with the popular teenagers of the school, who never knew she existed until now, she falls head over heels for a man who she can never have- her very own English teacher.


I just love this book so much; the storyline, characters and the forbidden love prevents you from putting the book down, and you instantly feel connections and close bonds with characters.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
Am I normal yet?
I read this book only a few months ago, and I have to say, it was definitely the most effective of the three. This is because, the main character - Evie - suffers with OCD, and the story shows a more in-depth perspective on the life of someone battling with mental health.

Throughout the book, there are little snippets, such as 'Bad thoughts' / 'Negative thoughts', and it portrays the thoughts that dominate Evie's mind as a result of her OCD. My favourite part is at the end, when she finally tells her two best friends about her OCD, thinking that they won't accept her, but they accept her with open arms and are genuinely so kind and respectful about it. I think this is a really good message for people who suffer with any type of mental health, but are too scared to tell anyone- if you tell somebody you trust, you are going to feel so much better and will have people supporting you everyday.

My rating: ☆☆☆☆


I hope you enjoyed this post and are now considering buying some of Holly Bourne's books, as they are honestly so so good! See you tomorrow for another book related post♥

Thanks for reading,


No comments:

Post a Comment